Machinery & Industrial
Machinery & Equipment Logistics Management
Our expert team can manage the shipment handling process for machinery, heavy equipment and parts. From applying for an import permit, to selecting the best shipping and transport routes, we’ve got you covered. Over our 35+ years, we have developed relationships with the best local transport operators to ensure your machinery or equipment is handled with utmost care.
- Experienced in OOG cargo
- Dedicated point of contact
- Flexibility in service options
- Large agent network with 300+ offices worldwide
WHY CHOOSE ICE
Your Freight Management Partner
We’ve helped hundreds of clients import machinery into Australia over the last 35+ years. With industries ranging from food processing to agriculture, we have a wealth of experience in handling all kinds of heavy equipment.
We start by asking you a few questions about your shipment (origin, destination, size and weight, incoterms, packing) and recommend the most cost-efficient shipping solution according to your requirements.
- Experienced in shipping heavy cargo
- Long-lasting relationships with the best carrier networks
- In-house customs brokers for efficient customs and quarantine clearance
What Can ICE Handle?
With over 35+ years of experience in all facets of international freight forwarding, we’ve shipped a wide range of goods across various industries, including (but not limited to):
- food processing and packaging machinery
- farming machinery such as mulchers, grinders, tractors and parts
- mining machinery and equipment parts
- construction machinery for grouting, piling, drilling, etc.
- manufacturing machinery and industrial equipment
- heavy machinery and equipment for all kinds of industries
- turnkey equipment and molding machinery
Machinery & Industrial Equipment Freight: Frequently Asked Questions
What are the quarantine requirements to import machinery into Australia?
The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry sets out the cleanliness requirements to ensure that machinery in Australia is free from bio-risk material (BRM) such as agriculture debris, plant material and animal materials (grasses, seeds and soil, for example).
Used equipment needs to be decontaminated or cleaned before shipping to Australia.
If your items are directed for inspection on arrival and do not meet quarantine requirements, your shipment may be sent for cleaning at a designated Australian biosecurity depot. Once cleaned, any items that do not pass a second quarantine inspection will need to undergo additional processing.
Check out our customs consultancy page to better understand this service.
How is my shipment priced?
The price of shipping your cargo is contingent on the mode of transport, taking into consideration your equipment’s weight and dimensions. The basis for choosing the mode of shipment is as follows:
- For an FCL shipment, the price is usually on a per-container basis, if the weight exceeds a certain weight threshold, heavy surcharges may apply.
- For a breakbulk shipment, the price is per revenue tonne. The revenue tonne is either the greater value of cargo cubic measure, or cargo weight measure.
- For an LCL shipment, the price is per cubic metre based on weight-based volume or gross volume, whichever is higher.
- For an airfreight shipment, the price is per chargeable weight (gross weight or dimensional weight, whichever is higher). You can use our Chargeable Weight Calculator for an estimate.
How long does the shipping process take?
The total shipping lead time greatly depends on the country of origin and the specific delivery address in Australia. It also depends on the assigned shipping line and whether it is a direct shipment or transhipment.
As a general rule, you can assume the follow indicative sea freight transit times:
- From China to Australia: 15-25 days
- From Europe to Australia: 42-50 days
- From US to Australia: 30-45 days
- From New Zealand to Australia: 35-45 days
Request a quote today and our specialist consultants can discuss your shipping options.
How is machinery shipped?
We will suggest the best shipping method based on the nature of the goods and destination. Generally, the options are:
- Shipping Containers – used if your equipment can be disassembled to fit into a container.
- Flat Rack Container – used for cargo that’s too high to fit into a container, flat racks are containers that are not enclosed.
- RO-RO (or Roll-on, Roll-off) shipping – used for large, out of gauge consignments. Driveable cargo is suited to this type of shipping.
- LoLo (Lift-on Lift-off) Shipping – another method used for large, out of gauge consignments. Often vessels will have cranes to manage loading and unloading.
- Air freight charter – recommended if you have a large volume of time critical cargo.
- Multimodal shipping (mix of air, sea and rail) – we may recommend a combination of freight modes if you are looking to reduce transit times and mitigate against airfreight costs.
- Coastal Shipping – this option is used for domestic cargo movements and is an alternative to road transport.
Connect with our experts today to learn how we can ship your goods today!
What if my machine is too big to fit into a container?
We may suggest reviewing options to disassemble parts of the machine to reduce the overall dimensions of your consignment. Individual components can be crated and potentially containerised or sent via break bulk services.
What sets ICE apart from other forwarders?
Flexibility and customer service. Our experienced operators/consultants get to know your business so you receive a truly bespoke service when working with ICE.
As independent forwarders, we have the flexibility of choosing the best shipping option for your cargo through our vetted network of overseas agents. We build the operation around your requirements to the smallest detail. Talk to one of our team members today to get started!
Recommended For You
Sea Freight, Uncategorized
Sea Freight, Uncategorized
We Consult. We Plan. We Deliver.
- CONSULT – We discuss your specific needs.
- PLAN – We develop a bespoke tailored plan that is cost-effective & efficient.
- DELIVER – We manage your shipment and keep you updated from beginning to end.