New South Wales Office
tailored, end-to-end logistics
Sydney Freight Forwarding
More than a freight forwarder. Consider ICE your logistics partner. We help you plan your logistics process end-to-end, actively looking for opportunities to minimise costs and save time. We understand your timelines, budget and specific requirements before recommending the most cost-effective shipping solution available via air, sea or land.
- FCL, LCL, and Break-Bulk Cargo shipping
- Dangerous Goods or hazardous cargo
- Pick up, packing and consolidation services
- Short and long-term warehousing
- Domestic road and rail transport: interstate or rural transport
- Airfreight same day delivery
- Coastal shipping from Sydney to Fremantle (Perth)
- Combination shipping (part air, part sea freight)
- Marine and air cargo insurance
planning your shipment
International Shipping Considerations
A few things to consider before engaging a freight forwarder in Sydney:
- Is moving your goods for the lowest cost possible a priority? You may consider a transshipment service if your business allows longer transit times.
- Is air freight out of budget but you need your goods as quickly as possible? You may consider an express or direct shipment. In the event of shipping peak season or port congestion, for an additional fee, we may be able to flag your shipment as urgent and avoid it being rolled over onto the next vessel. We can also liaise with the shipping lines directly to ask for priority in container availability. While there is no guarantee that your goods will be made available earlier, ICE go above and beyond in leveraging our long lasting relationships with carriers and overseas shipping agents to secure space.
- Is the integrity of your cargo a priority? Are you shipping high-value goods? We offer a range of cargo insurance options so your goods are covered during every step of the journey (including for damage, theft and loss). Consider whether your cargo is high in value, how easy is to acquire new/replacement stock and import costs. Our team can help you in the decision making process by breaking down the risk-reward for your type of cargo.
- Do you need extra time to pack or unpack the container? We can request to the shipping lines extra free time at no additional cost (please note this must be done before the vessel departs).
- Is your packing compliant and safe? Is it wrapped and labeled correctly? Are all wooden pallets compliant with ISPM15? Is the weigh distributed evenly in the container? Have you used straps or dunnage to secure the cargo in its place? Is your container overweight? Have you declared the verified gross mass (VGM) accurately to prevent extra charges? Is the container clean and free from contamination? If your goods arrive to the port with poor packing, the carrier might refuse to load it onto their vessel. And if your goods get damaged, your insurance might not cover if packing wasn’t done correctly. ICE can arrange packing on your behalf at an approved facility so your goods are export-ready. We also can arrange appropriate packaging at origin for your imports through our reliable overseas network. Alternatively, we can go to your premises to provide a packing consultation to show how to pack your goods correctly and safely.
- Is your cargo under customs control? Leave it with us -literally. Our Sydney warehouse is licensed for airfreight and LCL bonded cargo, which means you can legally store your goods at our premises while waiting for customs clearance, instead of paying high storage fees at the wharf. For FCL, we can arrange storage and bonded transport at an approved facility.
- Do you have any special transport requirements? Window receival times? Unload equipment hire, such as franna crane, tail lift or sideloader? Pilot escorts? Driver’s induction? Priority or overnight delivery? Dangerous Goods or over-dimensional heavy cargo? A Sydney freight forwarder has the expertise to recommend which route, transport mode and equipment is is the most cost-effective to move and unload your goods. We may suggest a combination of rail and road transport, for example, based on the cargo and destination address.
People you can trust
Meet Our Sydney Team
Did you know that many of our Sydney staff have been with ICE from the early days, since the company’s inception in 1988? That includes ICE’s Managing Director, one of the company’s founding members.
Half of our Sydney office have been working for ICE for 10+ years! This only goes to proof our nurturing, people-centric culture. We take pride in our client and staff retention rates.
When dealing with our ICE Sydney you can expect a professional environment with a family feel. Our people are highly experienced, well informed, and easy to talk to. Whether is to update you on your shipment or just to check-in and share the latest industry news, communication is paramount at ICE. Learn more about ICE and meet the wider team today.
Shipping to and from Sydney
What are the transit times for direct services ex Sydney?
Transit times to the main destinations of export from Sydney are:
New Zealand: 9 days, 1-2 times a week
Singapore: 17 days, 1-2 times a week
Hong Kong: 24 days, departing 2-4 times a week
Japan: 23 days, 1-2 times a week
China: 24 days, departing 2-4 times a week
Europe: 55 days, departing 1-2 times a week
How long does airfreight from Sydney take?
Departing from Sydney, transit times to the main airports are:
New Zealand: 1 day, departing every few hours
Singapore: 1 day, departing every few hours
Hong Kong: 1 day, departing 2-4 times a day
Japan: 1.5 days, departing every few hours
China: 1.5 days, departing every few hours
Europe: 2 days, departing every few hours
I have urgent cargo, can this move on a priority service?
Yes! If your cargo is urgent, our Sydney team can provide priority services and advise you of these options at time of booking. We pride ourselves on offering bespoke solutions to our customers as we know, not one size fits all. Just tell us what you need and when you need it by, and we will do our best to work out a solution for you.
What goods do you NOT handle?
Please note that we work with registered businesses to move B2B commercial products only.
We don’t provide marine insurance alone, only on freight that we arrange and we cannot handle the following items:
- Personal effects
- Live exports (animals)
- Fresh produce (fruits, vegetables)
- Cold cargo (dairy, meats, refrigerated foods in general)
I would like to talk to the Senior Managers of ICE, is this possible?
Absolutely! If you have a problem or query and need support from the business owners at ICE, we welcome your communication. At our Sydney office you can talk face to face to our Managing Director, Ronald Spahr or Sydney Director & Branch Manager, George Kyriakides.
Can I talk to your customs brokers directly?
Absolutely! ICE have our own in-house team of highly experienced and knowledgeable customs brokers in Sydney who you can get expert advice from. Unlike other forwarders, we do not sub-contract any of our functions to save on operational costs. Not only this means more control on the quality of our services, but faster communication between you and our brokers so we can process your customs entry as quickly as possible.
What sets ICE apart from other freight companies in Sydney?
Flexibility and unmatched customer service. Our experienced operators/consultants get to know your business so you receive a truly bespoke service when working with ICE. We are an independent private company run by the same dedicated management team since 1988.
As independent forwarders, we have the flexibility of choosing the best shipping option for your cargo through our vetted network of overseas agents. We build the operation around your requirements to the smallest detail.
We offer outstanding customer service and flexibility, combined.
How much a shipping agent in Sydney cost?
Freight forwarders charge based on factors such as shipment size and weight, the origin and destination of the cargo, the chosen mode of transportation (e.g., road, air, or sea), and any specialized services required, such as handling hazardous materials, oversized cargo or temperature-controlled shipments. Costs will also depend on market conditions (on or off peak season), the volume and frequency of shipments, and if you require additional services like customs clearance and warehousing. So there is no “one cost” for a freight forwarder. Every quote is customised and you’ll be charged fees on top of each service your freight forwarder provides to move your cargo along your supply chain.
Without exception and on time
“Since having International Cargo Express handle my ocean freight, I have had my bookings and equipment available without exception and on time. Communication between ICE and my supplier is very good and I receive information via my shipper before my supplier.”
Managed goods end to end
“Due to critical stock levels we needed a fast solution to urgently meet growing client demand. Presented with this challenge, ICE quickly identified appropriate freighter services and proactively managed the movement of goods end to end.”
ICE offered flexibility
“ICE offered flexibility, high levels of communication and attention to detail during our pick, pack and delivery project. With their professional support we were able to meet the demands of our supply chain knowing our freight was in safe hands.”